Promoting Good Governance Discussion - 20 ways to be a better board member

Being a voluntary board member should be fun, but it’s not a game.  Here are 20 ways to increase the impact you have in 2018.  https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/high-performing-boards-20-things-you-can-do-better-board-mclintock/ 

400dpiLogoCropped

Ian McLintock ½ Director

07595 371 444

Twitter Icon Skype

linkedinbutton

The Charities Excellence Framework launching Spring 2018 – an easy to use, low cost, low workload online platform that supports improved performance and reporting in all organisational areas.   

This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

Replies to this Topic

Great information Ian

One of the fundamental challenges that far too many board members and boards have is that they don't have a strong understanding of their roles and responsibilities.

It sounds basic, but one of the fundamental challenges that far too many board members and boards have is that they don't have a strong understanding of their roles and responsibilities.

According to Leading with Intent 2017, boards, in general, are doing well with more fundamental board responsibilities - understanding the organization's mission and providing financial oversight. Conversely, they struggle most with external responsibilities, including fundraising, advocacy, and community-building and outreach. This lack of understanding of what is - and is not - a part of the board's essential roles can lead to a whole host of dysfunctions, such as micromanagement, rogue decision-making, lack of engagement, and more.

Since it's impossible to do a job well if you don't know what the job is, all boards must take the time to ensure that every board member fully understands what's expected and needed of him or her, and then hold all members accountable when they get off track.

This starts with an understanding of the fundamental legal duties of each individual board member, which include:

Duty of Care - Each board member has a legal responsibility to participate actively in making decisions on behalf of the organization and to exercise his or her best judgment while doing so.
Duty of Loyalty - Each board member must put the interests of the organization before their personal and professional interests when acting on behalf of the organization in a decision-making capacity. The organization's needs come first.
Duty of Obedience - Board members bear the legal responsibility of ensuring that the organization complies with the applicable federal, state, and local laws and adheres to its mission.

But that's just the starting point, as boards have responsibilities that go far beyond these three legal duties. BoardSource formalized the core roles and responsibilities of board members and boards in the book widely recognized as the definitive word on the role of a nonprofit board, Ten Basic Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards, and developed a board self-assessment tool to help boards evaluate their performance in each of these ten areas.

The governance committee plays a key role in ensuring that boards are well-aligned around their roles and responsibilities, which requires a combination of ongoing board education and development and regular performance assessment.

Hi Robert,

I’ll be writing a few Governance articles through Spring.  Some a bit too UK centric, but I’ll drop the others in over the coming weeks to see if we can create an ongoing dialogue amongst others. 

Best Wishes

Ian 

Ian McLintock

Director

linkedinbutton

400dpiLogoCropped

Tel: 07595 371 444

Twitter: Ian_McL

This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

Fantastic!

If you like we would be happy to create your own section of AllHumanity Network for you to blog and communicate. Maybe "The McLintock Corner" or some interesting title.

Let us know how we can help you enjoy AllHumanity Network more.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Governance is a major issue for many, but it might be worth waiting to see if the thread generates an ongoing debate. 

Best Wishes

Ian 

Ian McLintock

Director

linkedinbutton

400dpiLogoCropped

Tel: 07595 371 444

Twitter: Ian_McL

Yes, please do post your articles. I'm a governance consultant to charities and associations and delighted to learn more about what's happening in the UK (I'm in Canada). Do you know Tesse Akpeki?

Your article is excellent.

If a governance group gets started, or a not-for-profit group, I can post links to my articles too. Latest is http://blog.garthsonleadership.ca/these-are-a-few-of-my-favourite-blogs/.

Hi Jane, I always thought Tesse new everybody, now I know she does. I’ll be posting articles in the coming weeks. The aim is to generate an ongoing governance group discussion, so yours would be very welcome. Ian

Sent via Groupsite Mobile.

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

AllHumanity Network