Discussion Topics

« Return to SDGs

UNLEASH Sustainable Development Goals Innovation Lab

Application Invitation: 2018 UNLEASH Sustainable Development Goals Innovation Lab

30 May - 6 June 2018, Singapore

Sponsorship available for up to 20 Action4SD Members

Action4SD is delighted to be a partner for the upcoming UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab which will convene 1,000 cross-sectoral leaders, under the age of 35 from around the world to design and deploy scalable solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals. The conference organizers have offered full sponsorship (details below) for up to 20 civil society innovators from the Action4SD community to participate in the eight-day innovation lab to co-create high-impact SDG implementation programs. At the end of the Innovation Lab, winning ideas will receive pro-bono technical support and be eligible for financial-backing to implement their sustainable development solutions.

There are eight themes for SDG talents to work on at this year´s Innovation Lab:

SDG 2: Zero Hunger
SDG 3: Good Health & Wellbeing
SDG 4: Quality Education
SDG 6: Clean Water
SDG 7: Affordable & Clean Energy
SDG 11: Sustainable Cities & Communities
SDG12: Responsible Consumption and Production
SDG 13: Climate Action

The application deadline is 3 February 2018 (17:00 GMT) and will be evaluated on five primary criteria:

- Demonstrated passion and commitment to solving some of the world's pressing challenges
- Possession of a creative and innovative mindset
- Proven track record of making contributions to social causes
- Willingness to engage in co-creation with peers and experts
- High proficiency in English with the ability to engage in complex discussions

The application has 5 parts covering basic personal details, current work that contributes to the SDGs, ideas and interests for the UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab, your profile and skills, and participation conditions. Apply here.

Sponsorship

Approved Action4SD applicants will be eligible for sponsorship to participate in the UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab, covering all travel, accommodation, meals, and program-related costs. Successful applicants will be asked to pay a $150 participation fee to help cover the registration and logistics costs for the global meeting. If you are unable to pay this fee you will be able to apply for a scholarship. More information about 2018 UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab.

Action4SD Membership

If you have not yet become a member of the Action4SD platform, join the global movement of 1700 civil society organizations & initiatives from over 110 countries. Sign up! For information about Action for Sustainable Development´s involvement in the 2017 UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab, see here.

Very best wishes,

Action for Sustainable Development Team

More info at www.action4sd.org | Twitter @Action4SD | Email info@action4sd.org

Replies to this Topic

I recommend a path for innovation mentorship be highlighted and widely disseminated given the focus of Action4SD, and the partnered UNLEASH SDG, of an age set under 35: "Action4SD is delighted to be a partner for the upcoming UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab which will convene 1,000 cross-sectoral leaders, under the age of 35 from around the world to design and deploy scalable solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals."

Since 2015, I have been working with a global award-winning innovation team for sustainable solutions that would be a perfect match to provide such mentorship roles. My interest is to have a meaningful conversation to develop an actionable plan to match mentorship capability (mentors who have tactical innovation skills) with the needs of next-generation innovation technologist to advance the humanitarian needs of today and into the future.

I welcome feedback and connectivity with anyone who is in a position to implement a robust mentorship program for this and similar innovation initiatives.

V/r,

Robert Reid 

Though i am not the right person for the innovation mentorship, but i have something to share that is essential for the success of the sustainable development goal. I am writing with a hope, to get this opinions considered as an opinion from the people at grass roots level.

What is the most essential and most important ideology to solve the complexities of poverty, global warming and other humanitarian crisis regarding the success of the sustainable development goals ?

First of all, what we need is peace and solidarity. Without peace and solidarity, it is impossible for the world community to pay devout attention to addressing poverty and pandemics. Today war, violence, and political collisions are the real cause of poverty. Economic differences and the disagreements between natural and academic sources are not only the obstacles for a global community struggling against poverty. The world leadership will have to try to bridge up the religious boundaries without disgracing the belief of any human kind, to perpetuate the basis for peace according to the need of this contemporary world.

At the forefront, the world community is baffled by the means to prevent global warming. On the other hand, we have developed weapons of mass destruction that could destroy the world beyond our imaginations. Thus, without peace and solidarity, any attempts to solve all issues relating to poverty and global warming constitute a political business in actual fact.

Presently many complicated questions confront the world's leadership and all leading religious instructors who thirst for a unanimous conclusion for global security in the current predicament of nuclear proliferation, terrorism and war, within the context of the moral crisis in political ethics and religious conflicts.

1. Is our world leadership united and coherent enough to combat the sources of terrorism and war given the rise of scientific insights that continue to design and manufacture lethal weapons for mass killing (that is, nuclear weapons)?

(In fact, the effect of our genetic nature had always forced us to use whatever we have created for individual conceptions of safety and peace)

2. Is it possible for the entire world led by God for human beings to uproot the sources of religious conflicts that erupt in the blood of massacre?

(No! They are enthralled in the strictures of their own religious tradition. It is impossible for them to surrender their own religious profession to transcend their own faiths to fill in the religious gaps that divide human perception)

3Do UN bureaucracies and administrations have enough potential to lead the global community on the path toward peace and propel those in positions of leadership to overcome complicated political issues, humanitarian crises, and religious conflicts?

( No! The UN embodies potential political ethics are beyond the reach of the general public)

4. Are we safe neglecting these larger issues that force us to an unnatural end?

( No ! Never!! )

5. Do we have ample, sufficient, and appropriate ideas and resources to combat those masterminds that have converted humankind into "lethal bombs"

( No ! The current world's political race is based mostly on professional issues, neglecting the true facts that separates the existence of humankind, within the mazes of religious and political views)

Robert, I’m curious about the “under 35” stipulation. There is extraordinary, untapped innovation capability in every age group.
Could you post some links? I’d like to learn more.
Thanks!

Sent via Groupsite Mobile.

Robert, I’m curious about the “under 35” stipulation. There is extraordinary, untapped innovation capability in every age group.
Could you post some links? I’d like to learn more.
Thanks!

Robert, disregard my request for links. Rereading I now understand (I think) that this was your personal recommendation - not based on a posting elsewhere. I have to say that I respectfully disagree. Diversity, diversity, diversity!
I’ve seen an alarming increase in bias against people in their 3rd Act in life, lately. People can contribute amazing talents at every age. I agree that there should be young participants. I also believe there should be seasoned participants, looking to make a difference. Multi-generational participants should be just one aspect of diversity...

My 7 cents

We all have tremendous untapped resources within our own spheres that, in unity, can provide literally thousands of compassionate solutions. UNLEASH focuses on certain generational members who, IMHO, have not had globally compassionate exposure. UNLEASH is bringing into the fold and giving purpose to a generation who want to be a game-changing paradigm. Just my quick thoughts.

If I’ve veered this into a topic that is not the focus, I apologize. Multi-generational thought-sharing and collaboration is at the forefront of what has inspired me at present, from personal observations. I’m seeing enormous potential to “unleash” change for good when generations have space (I’m seeing it online - have not yet seen it in person) to share ideas over time. It seems to take a bit of time for the discussions amongst multiple generations to start clicking and getting powerful, getting into social responsibility subjects and tough issues. In our course, I’m seeing the discussions mesh amongst youngest and oldest in about the 4th or 5th weeks. So they have 10 weeks left for powerful conversations. These are student-student discussions; the elders are not mentors, so the discussions have richness of inquiry, rather than sages giving tutelage.

I’d like to understand more about the organization, and why they chose under 35. How did that age become the threshold? I’m curious - my first impression was that the objective was to attract youth, but 25-35 is well into early adulthood. As an educator, I’m so encouraged to see the thought sharing in a specific class running right now (tackling difficult social issues) with students from early 20’s to late 50’s. And we’ve had a previous class with a range of 20’s to early 70’s!

Robert shares a quote, but I cannot find the “under 35” description on their website - am I looking at the wrong site? I clicked on one of the links in the announcement posting.
Again, if I’ve taken the discussion down a rabbit hole, my apologies:)

Andrea,

Absolutely no apologies needed. I have a lot of thoughts to share on this topic and the decision of this initiative to focus on the under 35 group; however, I am pressed for time at the moment and will gladly back to this discussion ASAP : )

Andrea, 

I would greatly enjoy exploring how AllHumanity Group/AllHumanity Network might work together with you and SHERPA via our social network AHN.  Your experience and background would be a tremendous bounty for our members and teams.  We are involved with Sustainability Management Associates out of California and, I believe that there may be many synergies.  We will be in San Diego in early Fall 2018 to do workshops and presentations with multiple members of our team on sustainable solutions.  

Please reach out and let's start a conversation.

Thank you, Andrea!

Andrea,

The discussion subject matter "UNLEASH SDG Innovation Lab" (USIL) initiative is "one" of a multitude of SDG focused global initiatives. UNLEASH and the partnering NGOs, Agencies, Corporations, and individuals supporting the "USIL" for 2018, as with 2017, have elected to have a "Next Generation" focus in the selection of participating "talents" for the innovation development.

I understand your comments on diversity, diversity, diversity. Likewise, save for the age restriction, UNLEASH shares the same interest and is committed to a concept of "radical inclusion" to ensure diversity in participant talent from different global regions, religions, gender, beliefs/faiths, etc.

Even though the age limit exists for the 2018 competition (as it did for 2017), compared to other "next generation" focused initiatives, I believe selecting a cutoff of 35 was, in fact, an extension to ensure more diversity.

Nevertheless, I do agree with you Andrea that there is much to be offered from the over 35 age group. This is why I would like to see a need for a visible campaign (from UNLEASH & Partners) for supporting and inviting mentorship roles. The mentorship does not need to be limited to "Innovation Sages". The activities and contributions of mentorship could also extend to a variety of other experience bases such as business development, advertising/marketing, leadership/management, manufacturing, supply chain management, regulatory governance, investment solicitation, legal aid, humanitarian outreach, etc... 

Likewise, I would like to see access for great sustainability experts & coaches, such as yourself, Dr. Holly Duckworth and others from the Sherpa Sustainability Institute (e.g. your course graduates of Continual Improvement for Social Responsibility CIRSR practitioner & expert courses).

Of note, the link you asked about that references the age restriction that was referenced on Robert Cipriano's opening discussion was from an info release from Action4SD (Action 4 Sustainable Development). Action4SD was a major partner to the 2017 inaugural UNLEASH program that brought 1000+ "young talents" (participants) into a forum to develop sustainable solutions. Action4SD has been dedicated up to 20 seats in the 2018 UNLEASH program that will be in Singapore. 

I could not find a bright-line rule on Unleash web pages saying that nobody over 35 could be a participant (talent); however, their mission statement emphasis is on youth/next generation.

Look at the button SDG Talent on the UNLEASH website (linked below) and it states "most" talents will be between 20-35 years old. I cannot tell if that means some will be allowed that are over 35 or if it just means some will be younger than 20 (or both). Nevertheless, supporting the development of thought from next generation is this program's focus. https://unleash.org/sdg-talents/

The deadline for applications of Talents (participants) is quickly approaching. See the Apply Now page https://unleash.org/apply/

I would suggest a person look into how to nominate a perspective "talent" by using the contact us link on UNLEASH website....or investigate the 200+partners to ascertain how to nominate a person(s) to be a participating Talent.

V/r, 

The other Robert...lol

Robert and Robert:)
Thank you both for your insights and invitations to collaborate. Let’s connect this week, if we can get schedules aligned (I’ll bet we can wrangle some time!
Andrea@sherpabcorp.com

Andrea,

Let me know what is a good time and date for you as a followup between you and I on the CISRproject and NG1. 

IRT the Sustainability Management Association and collaboration with AHN, I will defer to Robert C to lead a schedule proposal.

Ajay,

I understand your perspective. I would also offer to you a perspective that the pursuit of the UN SDGs is, in fact, "A" path to peace through collaboration and fostering a better understanding and mutual respect across borders and cultures. Of course, Peace is an inclusive SDG; however, the collaborative pursuit of any and all focus areas will actually advance peace, cooperation, and goodwill...especially if we, in the collective, purpose it to do so.

Thanks Mr. Robert Reid,

Lot of thanks for the enlightenment, its my great honor. We are all aware of the fact, that we do need "A"  Path to peace through collaboration and fostering a better understanding and mutual respect across borders and cultures. But due to lack of a perfect policy, we have never been able to "Unite and courage" the public and state for collaboration and mutual respect across borders and cultures.

Please review this statement from H.E. Mr. Antonio Guterres......

https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/statement/2018-01-16/secretary-generals-remarks-informal-meeting-general-assembly

I mean, without a policy to unify the world beyond their inherited political and religious thoughts, it is impossible for the world's leadership and all the leading religious instructors as well, to approach the public (divided in mazes of several political and religious definitions) for the collaborative pursuit of any and all focus areas that would actually advance peace, cooperation and goodwill, according to the need of this contemporary world. 

Sir, i am seeking to submit a proposal that specially designed to unify the human perception (without defaming their belief and faith) within the truth that is essential to achieve the global peace for the success of SDG. Is it possible for you to help me to submit this proposal at the right place in UN?

I am a self educated common man from India, seeking your support the U N to help the world's leadership and all leading religious instructors who thirst for a unanimous conclusion for global security in the current predicament of nuclear proliferation, terrorism and war. Our purpose is dedicated to separate the religious definitions from the mazes of political issues that creating the basis for terrorism and war.

Presently terrorism constitutes the worse aspect of those using religious teachings for worldly advantage and private interest. Instead of following religious teachings, they are concealing their crimes against humanity internationally, while at the same time altering the definitions of faith, ethics, and conscience. "Religion is for man and not man for religion." Humanity must be saved from both the horror of "terrorism" and the panic of "counter terrorism warfare." Although the words expressing our religious beliefs may be different, the meaning is the same for everyone.

In these circumstances, power of wealth and military power are not great enough for any country, organization, or group engaged in the mission to uproot the basis of terrorism. Rather, the entire world needs an intellectual power to counter the thoughts and views that create the basis of terrorism, religious fanaticism, and religious conflicts that separate the life of humankind. We will have to explore beyond our inherited system of thoughts to uproot the basis of terrorism, without any violence and within the confines of a tight budget. We believe, prevention of war and terrorism would help the world community to pay their deep attention towards the problems that emerging as poverty, Global warming, lethal diseases and pandemic.

Our petition "https://www.change.org/p/define-the-basis-of-moral-education-by-unification-of-all-the-religious-definitions-in-one-notion" requests that the world literate community and members of the "Counter Terrorism Committee" of the United Nations to approach world leaders, noteworthy religious thinkers, and prominent intellectual figures to develop a unanimous resolution to all religious conflicts that are currently causing terrorism and war. To reach this essential and achievable goal, they will have to unify all religious thinking into one universal idea that accords with scientific insight and the history of mankind on earth. The conclusions of this universal system of thought will be expressed not only without disgracing the numerous belief systems of mankind, but also in literary forms in the realms of global scholarship.

There is no doubt that the greatest aspect of literature is that it enthralls our mind and spirit from childhood to the end of our lives. It is a major part of our intellectual heritage, as important as our scientific and technological heritage; it influences our system of thought and throws into relief our genetic nature. It is the treasure house of human wisdom that guides our lives toward whatever final home our religious or spiritual beliefs direct us.

We have designed a simple method in literary form to address the complexities of this issue and support the "Counter Terrorism Committee" of the United Nations.This literary form would help the world literate community not only to raise new hopes, but also develop novel aspirations in working towards a common citizenship of all peoples and faith based on social responsibility and solidarity. This is the greatest contemporary need and the most important issue for the success of SDG in actual fact.

Thanks for the time and review. Looking forward for your response

Sincerely Yours
Ajay Singh
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ajay-singh-a8206b42/

Good morning 

I believe that the SDGs really do provide us with an opportunity to transform our world. The key, lies in transforming the way young people think and act so that we can bring shared values to life and this, requires, a 'global' approach to education and learning that can empower future generations with the knowledge and skills they need to secure a more just, peaceful and resilient world where all life has equal value and diversity is celebrated not feared or repressed.

What we need is a fundamental shift in how we teach so that our youth develop 21st century skills that cultivate a sense of community, active participation in giving back to society - this, may help us end our obsession with self and help us put education first so that no child is ever left behind. 

I would love to have an opportunity to develop a youth led newspaper or an online 'hub' where youth can discover, share and exchange stories and feel safe to look up information on global issues in the knowledge that the information they read is free of #FakeNews and that it can signpost them to further reading and it can provide inspirational pathways acting as a showcase for innovations and solutions that are being developed to solve the world's most pressing global issues. 

Thank you 

Good Morning Christine,

Great input. I know we can, indeed, assist with the forum here on AHN platform. The interest of keeping out #FakeNews is also a shared interest; however, we will need to have an internal trusted committee with ongoing current and historical global knowledge to help vet information without inducing bias. 

Robert Cipriano, what are your thoughts?

Ajay,

I understand the passion and the catalyst for your thought process. Nevertheless, I fall short of advocating for a one-world religion and especially a one-world religion governed by political bodies and a unified "sanctioned" body of belief leaders.

My thoughts on the matter is that "Belief" is a matter of individual will and anything outside of individual will imposing a religious belief is, in fact, contrary to peace and an affront to the interest of humanity.

Rather than driving for assimilation of belief systems into one "sanctioned" belief, I encourage respect for the differences of belief and support appreciation for a diversity of thought. Religous ideology is but one catalyst for terrorism, other catalysts that center around an insatiable quest for economic gain and power would be stimulated by a one-world belief system, as would the ideological terrorism for outsiders and dissidents of such a belief system.  

History has shown that Authoritarian, Totalitarian and similar structures are adverse to human rights. Nevertheless, much of what you hunger to see, as revealed in your writing, can be achieved through a positive real-world focus on assessing and supporting the needs of individuals, communities, and entire regions. The UN SDGs are not all-inclusive, nor are they perfect; however, they do offer a great starting point and can be the catalyst of a free will shift in value systems on a global perspective. The important thing is how we, as individuals and groups, interact with the SDGs to actualize the intent within our spheres of influence. Our caution should be while we address what we perceive to be radical thought and radical religious doctrine that we not in-turn become a source of radicalism in the process of confronting it.

I welcome other thoughts on this matter from other members as well.

Good morning

Everything that I write about as 1World Unite is checked 5 times from 5 independent sources prior to it making it into print/online  as I believe that we have a duty to ensure that everything we do is accurate and can be linked back to source or indeed provide the reader with inspirational pathways and a gateway to discover more.  

In addition to providing timely, well researched and accurate information that is well presented and easy to digest it is imperative that it is provided in a totally joined up way so that people can begin to recognise cause and effect so that we can begin the process of transforming the way people think and act to bring shared values to life which will help us work together and meet the goals of the United Nations and the SDG goals... 

And would love to have an opportunity to create the 'hub' 

Christine, Good Morning

We at AHN would love to have you curate and blog and feature your own AHN Hub.   We will feature prominently on our front page and draw hundreds, if not thousands, to participate.  We will assist with video teasers, artwork and direction and other collateral if you need it.

No charge,  how does that sound?

Give us to go ahead and we will set it up.

Respectfully,

Robert C.

yes, we can all contribute on this one

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

AllHumanity Network